Healthy Winter Warmers: Roasted Butternut Pumpkin & Apple Soup
Blogged by: The Family Foodie, Recipe by Active Pregnancy Active Mum27 Jul 2015View comments
You know the saying, an apple a day keeps the doctor away and during the cold Winter months we are willing to try anything, ok almost anything, to prevent us from a pesky cold or worse flu!
This recipe transforms the humble apple into a delicious and warming soup that your family will love. Filled with a nutritional punch, it will give your body the goodness it needs during the colder months.
Roasted Pumpkin and Apple Soup
Makes 6 cups (4-6 servings).
1.4kg. butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks (about 8 cups)
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 apples, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. black pepper
4 cups low sodium, organic chicken broth
½ tsp. curry powder
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees celsius.
2. Divide pumpkin, onions and apples in two rimmed baking sheets. Drizzle one tablespoon of olive oil over each tray of fruit and veggies and seasons with salt and pepper. Gently toss all the ingredients together until they all have a light coating of olive oil and seasonings. Roast for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
3. Remove the trays from the oven and cool to room temperature.
4. Place the ingredients into the blender (one tray at a time) and add two cups of chicken broth and ¼ tsp. curry powder. Blend for 30-60 seconds or until the soup is rich and creamy.
5. Pour into a large pot and repeat with the second tray.
6. Warm the soup over a medium-high heat until heated through. Adjust the seasonings and enjoy!
Tip: Yoghurt makes for a healthy alternative to sour cream and tastes delicious dolloped on top just before serving.
About Active Pregnancy, Active Mum:
Active Pregnancy Active Mum aims to provide pregnant ladies & mums with the tools that they need to exercise safely & effectively through pregnancy & motherhood. We provide functional fitness programs designed especially for women. Keeping women fit, healthy and in shape for the rest of their lives, is what we are all about at Active Pregnancy Active Mum. Find out more a www.activemum.com.au