Seaweed is a staple in the majority of Asian cuisine and there are some major health related reasons why. Here are five reasons why you should jump on the seaweed trend ASAP!
1. Sea vegetables are nutrient rich! They are high in dietary fibre, omega-3 fatty acids, essential amino acids, minerals & vitamins A, B, C & E – that’s a lot of vitamins!
2. Adding seaweed to food adds a natural preservative effect meaning they stay fresher longer!
3. Sea vegetables contain up to 10 times more calcium than milk
4. Seaweed is alkalising and helps to neutralize the effects of an acidic diet (which is quite common in modern times)
5. It’s tasty and can be cooked in a variety ways!
Here are our favourite sea vegetables!
Nori: A staple for sushi and Japanese salads Kelp: Kelp is high in iodine and trace minerals, Kelp noodles are a great egg/flour noodle in a noodle salad Dulse: The go-to sea vegetables seasoning! Kombu: Kombu is picked vinegar that aid digestion – it can be a side to the meal but tastes good in sushi as well!