Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic detox ritual which involves swishing a tablespoon of oil in your mouth on an empty stomach for approx. 20 mins. This 3000-year-old tradition draws out the toxins of the body and improves overall health. Organic coconut oil is the most popular used but organic virgin olive oil can also be used. The oil contains natural antibiotic and antiviral properties which not only remove toxins when spit out but also help to brighten & whiten your teeth. Here are our Do’s and Don’ts to maximize your oil pulling ritual.
1. DO swish a minimum of 5 minutes. Swishing for 20 minutes can seem like a huge feat, start with 5 and build on that.
2. DO oil pull with an empty stomach, don’t even drink water beforehand, first thing in the morning is the easiest. Pulling on an empty stomach triggers the release of the maximum amount of the enzyme-containing saliva. These enzymes remove toxins & bacteria out of the lymph fluids & bloods.
3. DON’T swallow the oil. The coconut oil is pulling toxins and bacteria from your body, you want to remove these toxins not put them into your gut!
4. DON’T try and talk during oil pulling. Trust me I have tried this, you either end up spilling the oil or swallowing it!
5. DO be aware of muscle aching. The swishing motion can lead to jaw aches this is why it’s important to start with 5 minutes and build. Also remember to swish with a relaxed jaw and don’t swish too vigorously.
6. DO practice your oil ritual several times a week. Every day is ideal but not always possible with the busy lives we lead.
7. DO add essential oils. Adding and a drop or two of Essential oils will increase their antibacterial & antifungal properties. Try adding peppermint, orange or lemon.