Roast potatoes are the perfect accompaniment for a traditional Christmas meal. Everyone loves them crispy on the outside, and soft and fluffy on the inside. Here’s how to do it and impress all your guests.
3kg medium Sebago or Coliban potatoes
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• Preheat your oven to 200°C or 180C fan-forced.
• Peel your potatoes, cutting them into quarters or slightly smaller.
• Place potatoes into a saucepan of cold water, add a few decent pinches of sea salt and bring to the boil.
• After 15 minutes, when the potatoes start to look ‘rough’ around the edges, they are ready. You can check by testing with a skewer. If the potatoes are tender, but not soft, they are perfect.
• Drain the potatoes, then return them to the saucepan. Put on the lid, then get your shake on! Shake the saucepan until the potatoes look rough and fluffy. THIS is the secret step. The rougher the potatoes here, the crispier they’ll be when roasted.
• Get a large roasting pan and pour the oil over the bottom. Heat the pan in the oven for 10 minutes.
• Add potatoes to the pan, giving it a good toss so the potatoes get coated with the hot oil.
• Return to the oven, 30-40 mins, before turning the potatoes and browning off on the other side.
• Sprinkle with sea salt and serve hot from the oven.
Energy 889kJ (212kcal)
Fat – total 7.7g / saturated 1.2g
Carbohydrate – total 26.8g / sugars 4.3g
Dietary fibre 4.8g